Monday, October 29, 2012

Review #2: The Lost Prince

Title: The Lost Prince
Author: Julie Kagawa
Series: Call of the Forgotten - Book 1
Released Date: October 23, 2012
Type: Young Adult, Faery, Romance


After waiting for three months, Julie Kagawa's new installment, The Lost Prince, comes out with a bang.

It was thrilling knowing about the prophecy from the Iron Prophecy about Ethan and Keirran fighting to the death and Ethan dying(not sure about that...) and that Ethan, being all broody and suspicious as he was, knew right away that Meghan and later Puck was hiding something that could possibly involve him.

First off, I like the introduction of Ethan Chase as a troubled, broody, anti-social teenager. He comes off the last book as a few years older than a four-year old, serious and like he had a lot a trauma after the kidnapping incident. Too much for an innocent little boy to experience. Later, its revealed that he trained Kali, a type of Filipino martial arts, using sticks as a substitute for knives or swords.


As a Filipino myself, I was really ecstatic that Ms. Kagawa used my country's martial art, showing that Filipino culture and influence interest foreigners no matter how simple and ordinary it may be locals.


Mackenzie St. James. She has one depressingly sad story. Being ignored by her father, who thought probably reminded him of his dead wife, and having cancer... Despite that, I like her spunky attitude, quick wit and her smartness. What I don't like about her is being freakishly nosy. And pushy. Man, that girl is one dog with a bone, and  a pain in the ass. Well, after all she went through, I kinda admire Kenzie for her determination to live life to the fullest even if there is danger lurking everywhere.

Now for that cat...I liked Grimalkin at the past series; his witty remarks, air of superiority, and doesn't-care-for-shit aura. But now, Ethan's reaction to him kind of affected me too. I think. Because now, I'm also irritated with that stupid cat and sometimes want to strangle him for his annoying come backs. But maybe that wouldn't last, maybe he'll change a little in the next book.

I thought Kierran was a nice guy...kind of like Ash with a dash of humanity from Meghan. At least now I know what would probably lead to the foretold event. Why, oh freaking why, would he team up with the enemy? Yes, I could understand that he feels sorry for them, knowing they were only trying to survive...but what the hell?!...These twists of events are really riling me up, which is exactly what Ms. Kagawa wanted(I think). I'm not complaining though, because it keeps readers like myself wanting more of her books. (Awesome!!)

Kenzie and Ethan's story kinda reminds of the novel, then later a movie, A Walk to Remember, where Jamie has leukemia, and the guy, Logan I thinks, kept her happy and make her dream come true. Makes me wonder now, that if Kenzie is nearing her end, what would Ethan do for her? Would he find a way to be with the girl he loves(just like Ash), or would he just treasure each remaining moment with her??

And despite the bleak future ahead for our heroes--and heroines--I'm not giving up hope, so maybe in the end everything would work out for the better. Hopefully.

So, for this book, I rate it at: 4.5/5




No comments:

Post a Comment